A couple of months ago I mentioned to VHS how much I hated Bear Crawls and Crab Walks and that I’d never Q a workout that featured them. “You should put them in every workout then” he quickly challenged. As soon as he said it, I knew he was right and I knew I would have to act on it. Chucky darn! Fast forward to present day where I have been struggling to find my rhythm since taking two weeks off over Christmas break; sucking wind, falling behind, not completing full sets, the whole nine yards. “How on earth am I going to Q in this condition?” I wondered as I tried to figure out how to design a workout that included snack breaks and nap time. As I’m trying to figure all this out, VHS’s challenge kept rattling around inside my skull and I knew what had to be done: everything I hate in one box.
- 15 Prayer Squats while waiting for late arrivals to straggle in from parking lot
- 5 Burpees OYO
- 1/4 Mile Loop Run to Street and back
Warmup (Parking Lot)
- Sir Fazio x10 / Seal Claps x10 / Reverse Sir Fazio x10
- Side Straddle Hop x 20
- Yoga Chops x 3 each side
- Mahktar N’ Diayes x 15 (hat-tip to Dingo for introducing me to this) Doing Mahktar N’ Diayes in a parking lot while wearing short sleeves is a primal scream in action. Unless you are an elbow model with an upcoming photo shoot, don’t balk. I didn’t see it but I could feel the balking.
- Run to the Ballfield
The Thang (Box of Hate inside the Ballfield)
- BTTW for a 19 man x 10 count / American Hammer x 15 / Bear Crawl 20 yds / Carolina Drydocks x 15 / Crab Walk 12 yds / Peter Parker x 15 / Run to outfield fence & back / Repeat the exercises and crawls on the way back to start
- BTTW for a 19 man x 10 count / Burpees x 15 / Bear Crawl 20 yds / Plank Jacks x 15 / Crab Walk 12 yds / Mountain Climbers x 15 / Run to outfield fence & back / Repeat the exercises and crawls on the way back to start
- BTTW for a 19 man x 5 count / Monkee Humpers x 15 / Bear Crawl 20 yds / Gorilla Squats x 15 / Crab Walk 12 yds / Dying Cockroach x 15 / Run to outfield fence & back / Repeat the exercises and crawls on the way back to start
Post Thang (Rock Pile)
- Run to the rock pile
- Super Slow Motion Merkins x 5
- Slow Motion Squatting Overhead Rock Press x 10
- Slow Motion Curls x 10
- Slow Motion Bent-Over Row x 10
- Half Speed Tricep Extensions x 10
- Run Back to Starting Point
- 5 Burpees OYO
- Have a Nice Day
Challenge: “Under pressure, we don’t rise to the occasion, we revert to our training.” In light of all the recent mass shootings, PAX reminded of the importance of training our minds towards action by visualizing possible scenarios when in public places. Every time you are in a movie theater, church, concert, or mall, take 20-60 seconds to visualize courses of action; possible escape routes you could funnel people towards, objects you could use as a shield to cover movement towards or away from a shooter, and potential weapons you could use to thwart an attack. It sounds a little weird but by making a practice of these short visualizations you are training your mind to see possibilities, and hopefully giving your mind a template for overcoming fear induced paralysis in the unlikely event you should find yourself in a violent situation.
Prayer Requests: Safety for Tin Cup’s daughter who just received her driver’s license, and adoptive parents needed at Amazing Grace Adoptions and Orphan Care. CDC closed us out with a prayer.