It was a beautiful, warm morning and YHC arrived earlier than usual to stretch and plan today’s workout. Upon arrival, YHC noticed quite a bit of sketchiness in the parking lot. Western Stranger appeared to be surfing the internet on his phone (hmmm) and there was a non-PAX car slowly creeping through the parking lot. As the rest of the PAX began to arrive, YHC though he spotted Country Wide coming up. However, YHC quickly realized the blacked out pickup was neither Country Wide nor one of the PAX.
With 2 sketchy vehicles in the parking lot, YHC was not about to stick around to see what went down next. 5:45, no FNGs, Spin Class disclaimer (check yourself, don’t wreck yourself) and we’re off.
Mosey around the parking lot by following one of the sketchy cars slowly cruising in circles to the basketball court for a warmup.
- SSH x 15
- GM x 15
- IW x 15
- MC x 15
- Tempo Merkin x 10
YHC observed much of the PAX was pre-occupied during this time. Several went to check that their doors were locked. In the end, though, we were limbered up and ready to rock.
The Maize Special
With some sketchiness in the parking lot, YHC felt the need to keep an eye on the PAX valuables. Accordingly, we made our way back to the parking lot and broke into groups of 3. We will be doing a 3-man revolving set that YHC learned from Maize.
- P1 runs to the other end of the parking lot (0.1 miles) and starts AMRAP exercises: 5 hand-release merkins, 5 plankjacks, repeato.
- Once P1 gets to the other side, P2 takes off towards them. Upon arrival, P2 tags off P1, who head back to relieve P3 (who is still at home base). P3 will then head to the other side, to relieve P2 and so on…
- While P3 is waiting at home base, AMRAP exercises of 5 sumo jump squats, 5 monkey humpers, repeato.
- Continue the rotation for approximately 15 minutes.
This set is surprisingly effective. Who knew how hard 5 merkins could become after 15 minutes. Also good for PAX of all fitness levels.
After a good 15 minutes, the PAX gathered back at the original starting point outside the community center. YHC announced the next activity would be a 3-man partner chase – out the park entrance, right on Edwards Mill, right on Glen Eden, stopping at the bottom of the hill (greenway entrance)– do 5 standard squats when you get caught before catching you group, tagging the back man and proceeding to the front. Before we took off, we stretched out with a quick bear crawl across the parking lot.
The next set was originally planned to be a bit more complicated, but time was getting short. Accordingly, a slight audible for the following:
Run back up the hill stopping at each of the 6 light poles for a pain station.
- Pole 1 – 5 burpees
- Pole 2 – 10 wide-grip merkins
- Pole 3 – 15 sumo squats
- Pole 4 – 5 burpees
- Pole 5 – 10 wide-grip merkins
- Pole 6 – 15 sumo squats
- Squat hold at the top of Edwards Mill and Glen Eden for the 6
After a 10-count or two, we returned towards the park entrance
To finish it off, line up on the basketball court in your 3-man team. P1 runs to the end and back, then P2, then P3. Anyone not running is exercising on the baseline.
- Round 1: AMRAP LBCs
- Round 2: AMRAP LSFs
- Round 3: AMRAP AHs
- The newest F3 Raleigh AO is live. Iron Eagle is Saturday at 7am. Be there.
- July 4th – There will be a convergence, but no location has been announced. There is also a 4-mile race benefiting Healing Transitions that morning. Join one/both if you are in town.
- Prayer request for a friend (Amy and Patrick), who lost their 1 year old son to cancer this week.
- Prayers/praise for Western Stranger, who just received news that he is cured (5 years in remission) from thyroid cancer.
Honey Do led us out with a prayer.