Earlier this week, YHC saw the call for a Catalyst Q go out and after a few weeks of travel for work and vacation, a response beckoned. Only problem was that YHC responded in the 3rd person. My M, a fabulous teacher of our common language, would have required a rewrite, but alas it was out there. Big D took to the airways and my notification lit up. Rickey Henderson? One of the GOAT’imers but I had forgotten about his third person reputation. A quick lookup and YHC was laughing for a good while. Nice one D.
12…wait, 13 PAX descended upon the friendly confines of Carroll Middle School this AM. We kept things moving and the heart rate up. Here’s what went down.
Warm-up jog out of the parking lot, up the hill towards Six Forks and a trip around the new BB&T bank ending on the corner of Lassiter and Six Forks and the circular First Citizens Bank. Circle up on the patio at the top of the staircases. Exercise reps varied from 15-20
- Mountain Climbers
- Plank Hold w/ Putin and Sarkozy
- Prisoner Squats
- Fazio Arm Circles (forward, backward)
- Jump Squats OYO x10
Quick countoff – 11. Split up into odds and evens. Odds would run a lap down the right staircase and around the brick sidewalk and back up the left staircase, while Evens would perform an AMRAP exercise. Flapjack. We did 4 rounds and picked up another PAX to make it an even dozen.
- Flutter Kicks
- Freddy Mercury
- WWII Situps
Jog over to the big First Citizens Building across from North Hills. Find a spot on one of the planters/small wall for some intervals as follows:
- Irkins x 20
- Quick feet on a small curb x 20
- Derkins x 20
- Quick feet x 20
- Irkins x 10 normal and 10 with a clap between each pushup
- Quick feet x20
- Irkins x 10 with a clap
Jog over to the fountain by World of Beer – circle up.
- Alternating L-R step up to the 2nd step x10
- Dips x 15
- Elevated LBC’s x 20
- Repeato x 2
Jog over to grass field behind Chuey’s. Partner up.
- Wheelbarrow towards the stage, flapjack as needed stopping at the first concrete step. Run back
- Partner carry down, Flapjack back up
- Lunge walk OYO down
- Bearcrawl OYO back up
Indian Run back to Carroll MS. Head down to the basketball courts (say hello to the Yoga ladies) and pickup a rock.
- Flutter Kick Press w/Rock (Combination of flutter kicks and a chest press) x 20
- American Hammers w/rock x 15
- Skull Crushers x 20
- Curls x20
- Squat to Press x20
- Bent over row x20
Rocks up and jog back to open grassy area near the parking lot for Mary.
- In and Outs x 15
- Boat Canoe
- LBCs x 25
- The Playboy (new exercise name courtesy of Zima) – this is an oblique exercise for the left and right side. I got it from P90x Ab-Ripper X. Rest on your left arm / left side while putting your right hand behind your head, elbow is out. Keep your feet together and for each rep, bring your right elbow to your right knee. 16 reps and then switch to the other side. This was a PAX favorite.
- American Hammers x 20
COT / Announcements / Prayers
- No major announcements today
- Prayers for Orwell
- Praise for Zima’s dad’s surgery (out of the hospital)
- Cheney closed us out with a strong prayer
- a good crowd today – YHC opted for an Interval workout to keep us moving and the heart rate up.
- With so many workout options now, I must admit, there were some faces today that I couldn’t recall your names. I’m approaching my 3rd full year in the gloom and each year has had it’s share of memories and favorite AO’s. At the end of the day, it’s the men of F3 that keep me coming out. I have no other way of explaining why I have posted and continue to post in freezing cold weather, snow, ice, warm rain, cold rain, mud, heat, humidity, etc. I’ve met many guys I would never have known otherwise. While some things have certainly changed, I’m reminded each time I post that a man’s friends are a special breed. I’m here to serve and my circumstances in retrospect, are not as bad as I might think sometimes. I’ve been at workouts where a good friend alerted me to another PAX that seemed to be having trouble. I told another PAX to hang back with me on a run and sure enough, the guy went down complaining of a heart issue. We got him back up but along the way, he confided in us that his marriage was crumbling and he needed help. After COT, I was compelled to gather some F3 brothers and help pray for our fellow PAX. Those are just some of the moments that I never would have had without my good friend Orwell EH’ing me out of the gym and into the gloom. As the weather begins to warm up, it’s a great time to get more guys out.
- Also, try posting at other sites that you don’t normally go to during the week. There are some awesome locations throughout Raleigh. Some of my favorites that I try to rotate through are Williams Park (Crucible), Shelley Lake (Gideon, True Grit), North Hills Park, Crabtree Valley Mall (Ethanol, Flood Zone), The Art Museum (The Judge, Whiplash), Carroll Middle School (The Blitz, Catalyst), North Hills Mall (Urban Jungle, Tahoe) and Laurel Hills Park (Dawn Patrol). There are many others that I’ve not been able to get to during the school year but suffice to say, variety is not something we lack.
- And, it goes without saying, if F3 has given anything to you, give back – sign up to Q, or co-Q. You won’t regret it.
As always men, it’s a pleasure to serve.