Cold, numbing drizzle. Falling temps. Raw air. The epitome of The Gloom. And yet, men came once again to the tucked-away treasure that is Eastgate Park, and they came in search of something . . . maybe just a solid workout, a way to work off (and out) some of the weekend’s merry-making. Maybe to prepare for the final push of work projects and deadlines before Christmas and the year-end. Maybe to enjoy some 2ndF and deeper (or not) conversation beyond the surface of those typically experienced at holiday parties and gatherings. Maybe for reasons unknown even to them. Whatever the reason, they came. Here’s what they found:
Warm up with a quick jog past the pond down to Quail Hollow and back up the hidden stairs for COP: SSH’s, GM’s, merkins, peter parkers, IW’s.
Partner up and complete circuits around the warm-up jog loop stopping along the way for the following: 10 burpees at 1st light pole, 15 CDD’s at 2nd light pole, 20 alternating jump lunges at base of stairs, stairbarrow up the stairs to the top (partners flap jack stairbarrows on each loop). Repeato for total of 4 loops.
Head over to picnic shelter for a set of single-leg squats x 10 (each leg) and derkins x 20. Repeato for a total of 3 sets of each.
Mosey over to the tennis courts and find your partner for the following:
- P1 does suicide pyramid across and back across 3 courts while P2 does amrap wide-grip merkins. Flapjack.
- P1 sprints down and back across 3 courts while P2 does people’s chair. Flapjack.
- P1 does bear-gorilla-bear crawl across 3 courts and sprints back while P2 planks. Flapjack.
- P1 does bear-crab-bear crawl across 3 courts and sprints back while P2 planks. Flapjack.
- P1 does gorilla-bear-gorilla crawl across 3 courts and sprints back while P2 planks. Flapjack.
- P1 sprints down and back across 3 courts while P2 does low-plank hold. Flapjack. Repeato continuously for a total of 3 sprints each.
Circle up for 1.33 minutes of Mary – 6″ leg hold around the horn.
- Awesome turnout for an unawesome weather day. Very encouraging to see that level of commitment on a day just begging for the Fartsack.
- Welcome FNG Cortese. Painfully slow naming process but the final product was absolutely solid. #StepOff
- Welcome also to brother Freon from Rock Hill. Come back anytime.
- Mumble chatter was noticeably down, despite Wendell’s presence. MacGruber muttered a few things under his breath, which, not surprisingly went largely ignored.
- Tclaps to Goobs and company, however, for their work to make the second installment of the Haven House dinner another success. Kudos to the Pax for stepping up to serve and fund the event and raise a decent chunk of change for Haven House in the process. #LivingThird
- Reminder: Balsa Gliders with opening band Geb this Thursday, 7:30 pm, Kings in downtown Raleigh. Proceeds support the Joyner Elementary Foundation. Big F3 presence on-stage, so come out and support your brothers for a good cause.
YHC shared some closing thoughts inspired by Grease Monkey at Whiplash on Saturday: The magi were a group of men who, as best we know, were not Jews, so the anticipation of the arrival of a promised Messiah/Savior was not a part of their belief system. Yet, they followed God’s prompting and set out on their journey following a guiding star in order to find and worship the newborn Jesus. Regardless of where you find yourself in your own faith journey, I encourage us all to use the season of Christmas as an opportunity to seek out God, wrestle with your understanding of His role in your life, and perhaps find some answers to those deeper questions that often rattle around in our brains, tug on our hearts and pierce our souls. Jesus promises us this: “And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” Ask. Seek. Knock.
As always, an honor and a pleasure. Aye.