In a famous story from the Old Testament, King Solomon decides to settle a dispute between two women both claiming to be the mother of a baby boy by declaring that the infant would be cut in two, with each woman receiving half. One woman agrees to this arrangement, while the second begs Solomon not to kill the baby but rather to give the child to the other woman so that the baby could live. At that point, the king declared the second woman the true mother, as a real mother would even give up her baby if that was necessary to save its life. This is a great story of a mother’s love and evidence of King Solomon’s wisdom. However, when it comes to a pair of guys creeping towards the upper end of middle-age mulling over how to lead an hour workout, sometimes splitting the baby makes all the sense in the world. And so we did.
Take off on the run from the parking lot, around the tennis courts and down to the circle around the grassy knoll. Warm-up COP with SSH’s, IW’s, Good Mornings, Merkins, Arm Circles, etc. Finish with 10 burpees OYO.
Run to the baseball field and partner up. P1 bear crawls to first or third base and sprints back, while P2 does an AMRAP exercise. Flapjack. Exercises included merkins, LBC’s, and prisoner squats.
Meet up with Healing Transitions guys and mosey down to the tennis courts for a series of suicide sets with People’s Chair and BTTW in between sets.
Head down to the picnic shelter for sets of Irkins x 10 (IC), Dips x 10 (IC) and Alternating L-R Step-Ups x 20. Repeato.
Run up to the football field. Line up with your partner on the sideline closest to the pull-up bars. One pair of partners does 10 pull-ups each while remaining pax makes its way across the field and back in various and assorted manners. Repeato down the line until all pairs have completed their pull-up sets.
- Set 1: bear crawl to other side, sprint back.
- Set 2: wheelbarrow to other side (flapjacking as necessary), sprint back.
- Set 3: karaoke to other side and back.
- Set 4: crab walk to other side, sprint back.
- Set 5: backwards run across and back.
- Set 6: gorilla crawl halfway across, then bear crawl remaining half. Sprint back.
Mosey over to the endline of the football field for an abbreviated Ocho-Cinco: 8 reps of a called exercise at each of 5 stops (starting endline, midfield, far endline, midfield, starting endline). Time was running short, so only got in 2 sets – sumo jump squats and hand-release merkins.
Head back to the main lot and circle up in the shady grass by the rock pile for some Mary: mini-LBC’s x 20 (IC), slow Freddy Mercuries x 10 (IC), slow Homer-to-Marge x 10 (IC), Boat/Canoe with oars and paddles.
- Great to co-lead with my brother Steroid, a true friend. We’re still contemplating whether 60 minutes of Arm Circle variations might actually work. Maybe you’ll be lucky enough to post the day we unveil it. #Teaser
- Tclaps to our brothers from Healing Transitions who continue to show up and do work. Always looking for more drivers to pick those men up from HT on Saturday mornings to bring them to Chavis, so please step up when you can.
- A somber time for the N2N family, which continues to mourn the death of Erieyana Holloway, a 14-year old young lady killed in a car accident last Thursday night. Prayers continue for her family and friends as well as Shaun Jackson, a staff member who was driving the N2N van in which Erieyana and another student were riding when they were hit by another car. A young lady who was a passenger in the other car was also killed. An incredibly tough event that has left many suffering. We know that God mourns with all of those affected by this tragedy, and we pray that He will grant them peace and comfort during this time. N2N is accepting donations (both online and through checks) to help the Holloway family with funeral expenses, if you are inclined to give.
As always, an honor and a pleasure. Aye.